Fri, May 22, 2026
Text Size
Friday, 14 March 2014 13:09

Thames Water Tideway Tunnel planning inquiry closes

The Planning Inspectorate's inquiry into the application by Thames Water for an order granting development consent for the £multi-billion Tideway Tunnel has now closed.

During the course of the six-month inquiry the Planning Panel has received hundreds of written submissions firom a wide range of interested parties and Thames Water, held a number public meetings to hear oral evidence from witnesses and conducted a series of site visits.

Last month Eric Pickles, the Secretary of State for Comunities and Local Giovernment, turned down a request from Phil Stride, Head of the Tideway Tunnel project, for the examination to be extended until 12th May.

The Minister told Phil Stride that the Government did not consider that the case for an extension had been made out, on the grounds that: 

  • the statutory timetable was clearly set out to the applicants before they applied:
  • it was incumbent on all parties to aim to ensure that the examination was completed within the six month statutory timescale; and
  • an extension to the period for the examination stage could mean that interested parties incur additional costs, which, if the original timetable was retained, may not otherwise be incurred.

Mr. Pickles added that it was important "to maintain confidence that the regime can deliver development decisions in a timely fashion."

Thames Water had argued that an extension of the period for examination of its application was justified on the following grounds:

  • The intensity of the process with a significant number of issue specific hearings being held very close to the deadline of 12 February 2014 for the submission of the firm's final documents.
  • The announcement on 5 February of the reconvened Noise and Vibration hearing on 20 February 2014, eight days after the above deadline which was very likely to necessitate significant changes to its documentation including the draft DCO.

Mr. Stride also said that a further period of time was needed to ensure that Thames had met the Examining Authority's requirement seeking further certainty on delivery of mitigation included within the project. This included completion of legal agreements with a large number of key stakeholders, including those necessary to secure consent from the Crown under section 135 of the Planning Act 2008.

The findings and conclusions made by the Inspectorate arising from the examination, together with its recommendation will now be sent to the Secretaries of State for Communities and Local Government and for the Environment, Food and Rural Affairs no later than 12 June 2014.

News Showcase

Sign up to receive the Waterbriefing newsletter:


Watch

Click here for more...

Login / Register




Forgot login?

New Account Registrations

To register for a new account with Waterbriefing, please contact us via email at waterbriefing@imsbis.org

Existing waterbriefing users - log into the new website using your original username and the new password 'waterbriefing'. You can then change your password once logged in.

Advertise with Waterbriefing

WaterBriefing is the UK’s leading online daily dedicated news and intelligence service for business professionals in the water sector – covering both UK and international issues. Advertise with us for an unrivalled opportunity to place your message in front of key influencers, decision makers and purchasers.

Find out more

About Waterbriefing

Water Briefing is an information service, delivering daily news, company data and product information straight to the desks of purchasers, users and specifiers of equipment and services in the UK water and wastewater industry.


Find out more